I was asked by a friend to do a two custom hats from dog fur. She wanted earflap hats with a dog motif so I set to work. The dog fur was already cleaned and blended with wool but I had the pleasure of doing the dying. D said that she would like one in blue/purple and another in a nice bright orange and when I suggested a semi-solid, to add a bit of dept to the color, she was really keen. To me, an afternoon spent with fiber and dye pots is an afternoon very well spent! 🙂
Once the wool was dry I set to work on the spinning. Both the natural white fiber and I dyed fibers were spun as DK weight two ply. All the yarns have that wonderful halo that is typical of dog fur/wool blends and it is oh, so soft!
The next challenge was, of course, planning the pattern and knitting. I had done a quick sketch of how I wanted the hat to look and the charts planned out but I always like to do a test run first. I did a gauge swatch with scrap yarn to test out the dog chart and was very happy with how it turned out so I knit a sample of the hat which I featured in one of my last blog posts. Now on to the real deal!
I started on the hat pictured above yesterday morning and I have it ALMOST complete … just need to add the i-cord trim and the braided ties. Quite honestly, I find colorwork to be almost meditative. I can (and frequently do) get completely lost in it.
Next up in another is that super sunny and cheerful orange/yellow. I can’t wait to see how these turn out!